Madigan Muses: Ladies Ancient Order of Hibernians History Contest
by Marilyn Madigan
The Ladies Ancient Order of Hibernians (LAOH) have been sponsoring an Irish History Contest for over 100 years. The History Contest this year is to recognize the many contributions of the LAOH, the largest Irish Catholic Women’s Organization in the United States.
We have a long proud history; Students can write about an individual woman, an individual Division or the various special projects of the LAOH, such as Nuns of the Battlefield.
2019-2020 National LAOH Irish History Writing Contest Student Information:
Eligibility & Information:
- Students in grades 6-12, enrolled in parochial, private, public schools or who are home schooled, are eligible to participate in the 2019-2020 National LAOH Irish History Writing Contest, sponsored by the Ladies Ancient Order of Hibernians, Inc.
The National LAOH Irish History Writing Contest is comprised of two levels: LEVEL 1 is for students in Grades 6, 7, or 8 and LEVEL 2 is for students in Grades 9, 10, 11, or 12.
- Each student entering the 2019-2020 National LAOH Irish History Writing Contest should be given a copy of the Student Information and Contest Rules as well as a copy of the 2019-2020 National LAOH Irish History Writing Contest Judging Criteria. Information is on the website: ladiesaoh.com
2019-2020 National LAOH Irish History Writing Contest Theme:
The theme is the same for LEVEL 1 and LEVEL 2, as follows:
“History of LAOH in the USA (honoring the 125th Anniversary)”
We will accept entries written about any person, event, or structure that has to do with the LAOH in America during the past 125 years.
2019-2020 National LAOH Irish History Writing Contest Information:
- Each student participating is to follow the LAOH National Irish History Writing Contest Information and Contest Rules.
- Each student is required to submit four (4) copies of their submission to the LAOH Division Irish Historian by November 15, 2019.
- Each student, through their participation, gives permission to the LAOH to use their essay at LAOH meetings, events and/or in LAOH publications, or on the website.
- 2019-2020 National LAOH Irish History Writing Contest Timelines:
- Contest opens September 1, 2018 with the National Historian submitting to State Historians; State Historians to County and Division Historians by September 15, 2019. Schools should receive packages and students begin writing papers October 1, 2019.
- Division Level Submissions are to be received by November 15, 2019 County Level Submissions are to be received by December 15, 2019 State Level Submissions are to be received by January 15, 2020 National Level Submissions are to be postmarked by February 15, 2020 National to announce winners by March 30, 2020
2019-2020 National LAOH Irish History Writing Contest National Awards:
Students can search Chronicling America and Newspapers.com. Sample topics are: Nuns of the Battlefield, Ellen Ryan Jolly, Mary McWhorter etc.
First Place, Second Place, Third Place, Honorable Mention, Honorable Mention
LEVEL 1: $500, $250, $125, $50, $50.
LEVEL 2: $1,000, $500, $250, $100, $100.