Kids’ Craic: KNOWvember!
by Dottie Wenger
Ireland doesn’t celebrate Thanksgiving in November, since it’s an American holiday. But that doesn’t mean that nothing is happening during the month. Here are some things to KNOW about Ireland, including a few November highlights.
- November’s average temperature in Ireland is between 42 degrees and 59 degrees Fahrenheit. (And speaking of weather…. Ireland can get more than 220 days of rain a year. In 2007, Ireland saw FORTY straight days of rain! )
- Do you want to see the Northern Lights? November is one of the best times to view the lights from Ireland, especially between the hours of 9:00 p.m. and 1:00 a.m.
- In the United States, November is known as election time. Did you know that it was an Irishman, James Hoban, who designed our White House? Another fun fact: Ireland has had two female presidents! Ireland is one of the best countries in the world for gender equality.
Gaelic Word of the Month: Uachtaran (“President”) Pron. ooachtar-awn
Literature Highlight: Ireland Travel Activity Book and Journal by Lauren Kotwal
If you are planning a family trip to the Emerald Isle, this journal is a must. Within its pages, kids can draw and write about what they’re doing and seeing in Ireland. Also included are fun facts about Ireland history, mythology, culture, and places to visit.
Word Scramble– can you guess the word from its clue?
- An Irish plant – kormshac
- The month of St. Patrick’s Day – crahm
- Ireland’s nickname – het dalmere lesi
- An Irish saint – tains kapcirt
- An ancient Irish language – caleig
- One of the colors on Ireland’s flag – geonra
- Ireland’s capital city – nildub
Answers: shamrock, March, the Emerald Isle, St. Patrick, Gaelic, orange, Dublin
*Dottie taught kindergarten and second grade for thirty-two years, and now handles marketing and promotions for Yorktown Service Plaza in Parma Heights. In her spare time, Dottie is a baker extraordinaire, and also enjoys participating in 5K events in order to offset collateral damage from this hobby. J She is married to John and has two grown sons, Daniel and Andrew.